9 Solutions for Xfinity Remote Not Working
Xfinity Flex lets you watch 10,000+ movies, TV shows, and streaming services in one place. You will get an Xfinity Voice Remote to search for your favorite programs with voice commands. Sometimes, you may be disappointed when the Xfinity remote goes unresponsive or not working. If you have this trouble, try these methods to fix it.
What Causes Xfinity Remote to Not Work
If the Xfinity remote had stopped working, it would have been affected by the following reasons.
|1||Because of insufficient charge on the batteries, the remote will stop working at any time|
|2||Xfinity box won’t be able to receive signals due to obstruction in between the line of sight|
|3||The remote may become defective due to physical damage or accidentally fall into the water|
|4||If the Xfinity box encounters a technical error, then you can’t be able to use Xfinity remote|
Proven Fixes for Xfinity Remote Not Working
If the Xfinity remote stops working or any buttons not responding, you should try the following methods to fix it.
Replace Old Batteries
The main reason for the Xfinity remote issue is weak or dead batteries. You should check whether the batteries have an adequate charge to make the remote work. This can be checked by inserting the battery into other electronic devices and testing them. If the test fails, it is recommended to replace the batteries.
- Remove the batteries from the battery compartment.
- Insert a pair of fresh new batteries based on their positive and negative terminals.
- Close the battery cover and test if your remote is working or not.
Check IR Sensor
Xfinity remote works by sending IR signals to the Xfinity box. You can perform a camera test to see where it can send IR signals properly. Here’s how to test the remote.
- Launch the camera app on your smartphone and aim the Xfinity remote head toward the camera.
- Press the remote buttons one by one.
- If you can see a red indicator light on the camera, then the Xfinity remote is completely fine.
Tip: If the indicator light doesn’t blink, the remote may be defective, or the batteries die.
Use Remote in a Closer Range
You can operate Xfinity remotes only from a distance of fewer than 20 feet. It is impossible to operate the remote if you are too away from the Xfinity box. Also, ensure the remote points to the sensor in a direct line of sight. Test the remote within this range and check if it works without problems.
Remove the Obstructions
If you keep any objects in front of the Xfinity box, it won’t be able to receive signals from the remote. Therefore, the remote will not work even if you press the button multiple times.
- Relocate the objects like furniture, soundbars, or other electronic devices.
- Next, aim the remote at the Xfinity box and press the buttons of your wish.
- If the Xfinity box responds to the remote input, you have fixed the issue.
Note: Likewise, if the DirecTV remote is not working, you need to check whether there are obstructions.
Release Stuck Buttons
Sometimes, the Xfinity remote buttons will get stuck, causing the remote to stop responding. This is mainly due to a speck of dirt on the edges of the buttons. To fix this, follow the instructions given below.
- Remove the dust particles on the buttons by wiping them with a clean cotton cloth.
- You can use a 99% isopropyl alcohol cleaner to remove the smudge.
- If the buttons are still stuck, disassemble the remote and rectify the issue.
Reset the Xfinity Remote
You can also fix the Xfinity remote not working issue by unpairing and pairing the remote. It will reset the remote to factory defaults, so it will work without any problems. However, the reset procedure will vary for each remote model.
Reset XR11 Remote
Here are the steps to reset the XR11 remote to factory settings.
- Press and hold the Setup button for 5-10 seconds.
- Release the Setup button if the indicator light stays idle and turns from red to green.
- Press the 9-8-1 buttons in sequence.
- The green LED light will blink twice to indicate that the reset is completed.
Reset XR15 Remote
The following are the instructions to reset the XR15 remote to factory defaults.
- Press the A (triangle) and D (diamond) keys and hold them for about 5-10 seconds.
- Release both buttons if the indicator light switches from red to green.
- If the indicator light stays idle, press the 9-8-1 buttons consequently.
- Lastly, the indicator light will blink blue three times to mention that the reset is successful.
Reset XR2 and XR5 Remote
Follow these instructions to reset the XR2 or XR5 remote.
- Press and hold the Setup button for about 5-10 seconds.
- Release the Setup button if the indicator light switches from red to green.
- Further, press the 9-8-1 buttons one by one.
- The remote reset is completed if the indicator light flashes twice.
Reset XRA Voice Remote
Here’s how to factory reset XRA large button voice remote.
- Press and hold the Home and Page Up buttons at the same time.
- Release both buttons if the indicator light flashes green.
- After that, press the buttons 9-8-1 in sequence.
Important Note: After the reset, you need to program the Xfinity remote to use the remote.
Reset the Xfinity Box
You should reset the Xfinity box if the remote doesn’t work after the reset. It will help to fix unexpected errors that occur within the box. Follow the instructions given below to do so.
- The reset button is located on the backside of the Xfinity box.
- Click the reset button and hold for at least 5-10 seconds.
- Lastly, test whether the remote is working without any issues.
Contact Xfinity Support
If none of the methods fix the issue, you must seek assistance from Xfinity Customer Service. You can chat 24/7 with the Xfinity team regarding your queries. In addition, you can click the Status Center to check for local outages. You can reach out the customer support via 📞 1-800-XFINITY and explain the issue clearly.
Buy a New Remote
If the Xfinity remote has been lost or broken, you can buy a new remote. So, you need to visit the Xfinity Store and find the nearby store by entering your exact location. Moreover, you can also purchase an Xfinity remote online via Amazon. If you want, you can buy non-branded remotes that are cheaper than the original remotes.
Bonus Tip: For more convenience, we recommend users use the Xfinity TV Remote app as a remote control. It is available on the Play Store and App Store and you can download it for free.
Frequently Asked Questions
To pair an Xfinity universal remote to the TV, you can use 5 digit codes like 10178, 11178, 11637, 11756, 11530, 10442, 10017, 11314, or 12731.
If the red indicator light on the Xfinity remote blinks five times, it indicates that the batteries are too low and it is time to replace it.