DirecTV Remote Not Working: Reasons, Fixes, & Bonus Trick
DirecTV universal remote is more convenient as it can control both audio and video devices at a time. By sliding the mode switch, you can control the device you want. However, there may be times you won’t be able to use the remote due to physical damage. Suppose the DirecTV remote is not working for other reasons, you can follow the below troubleshooting methods and fix it.
Reasons for DirecTV Remote Not Working
If your DirecTV remote isn’t working or you cannot control the TV, it might be for the following reasons.
|1||The most prevalent issue arises from the remote batteries if they are weak or completely drained|
|2||The remote will stop responding if there are obstructions between the remote and the sensor|
|3||If your remote has fallen into the ground, the internal parts are affected due to physical damage|
|4||Sometimes, an unexpected technical error will cause the remote buttons to be unresponsive|
How to Fix DirecTV Remote Not Working
After extensive research, we have prepared some troubleshooting methods to fix the DirecTV remote not working issue.
Check Battery Level
DirecTV remotes have a unique feature, unlike other universal remotes. You can easily test the battery health of the remote using a button sequence. Here’s the procedure to check the battery level of the DirecTV Remote.
- Press and hold any button on the DirecTV remote.
- If the green LED light stays idle, it indicates that the batteries have a sufficient charge.
- The batteries are average if the green LED light on the remote is continuously flashing.
- If the green LED light blinks slowly or no light, you must change the DirecTV remote batteries.
To change batteries, remove the battery cover and replace the old AA batteries with newer ones.
Change the Mode
Sometimes, you cannot change TV channels or adjust the volume using the remote. This can happen when you forget to change the mode on the DirecTV universal remote.
- Slide the mode key of the DirecTV remote to the left that has the DirecTV icon.
- If the remote doesn’t work for other devices, you should slide the mode key to the corresponding input.
Important Note: If you are an LG TV user, you must program the DirecTV remote first and proceed with the steps to change the mode.
Check the Input
You have to check if the DirecTV remote has been set to control the DirecTV receiver. To check that, follow the simple instructions given below.
- Press and hold the Enter button on the DirecTV remote for 3-5 seconds.
- Once you see a Source menu listing all the TV inputs, release the Enter button.
- Make sure to choose the corresponding input of the DirecTV receiver.
- For instance, select HDMI 2 if you have connected the DirecTV receiver to the HDMI 2 port.
- Finally, test whether the remote is working perfectly without any problems.
Release Stuck Buttons
If the remote gets old, there are chances for the remote to get affected by smudge. As a result, a speck of dirt will stay on the edges of the buttons. Some dirt may even go inside the button, causing buttons to stuck inside. When you try controlling the TV, you will find DirecTV remote buttons not working issue. Therefore, it is necessary to clean the DirecTV remote with proper alcohol cleaners.
- Take the DirecTV remote and repeatedly press the keys one by one.
- Additionally, you should whack the backside of the remote twice with your hand.
- This will release the stuck buttons on the remote, if any.
Pair the Remote
The DirecTV remote needs to be paired before you want to control any device. If you haven’t done it yet, go through the following instructions.
- Press the Menu button on the DirecTV remote.
- Click on Settings and choose Remote Control.
- Next, click on IR/RF Setup.
- Ensure to switch to IR if you are in RF mode.
- Further, follow the on-screen prompts and click on Continue.
- Lastly, tap the Exit button.
Note: If you have a Genie Remote, press and hold the MUTE and ENTER buttons simultaneously. If you see Applying IR/RF Setup message on the TV screen, your remote is paired.
That’s it! You have paired the DirecTV remote, and if necessary, you can change to IR or RF. Check the remote if it works without any issues.
Reset DirecTV Receiver
If none of the buttons on the DirecTV remote work, it is recommended to reset the DirecTV receiver. The following are the steps to reset the DirecTV receiver to fix remote unresponsive problems.
- Locate the red button on the left/right side of the receiver.
- If not found, it will be there inside the access card door.
- Gently press and hold the red button until the DirecTV receiver restarts.
If there is no red button, unplug the receiver’s cable from the power outlet. Leave it unplugged for 15 seconds. Later, connect the receiver cable back to the power outlet.
Restart DirecTV Remote
If the DirecTV remote still doesn’t work, you should restart the remote control by the following guidelines.
- Press the Menu button on the DirecTV remote.
- Then go to Settings.
- Next, click on Remote control.
- After that, choose Pair/Program Remote.
- Proceed with the on-screen prompts to complete the process.
- If it asks for a 5-digit code, you should use the Code Lookup Tool.
Reset DirecTV Remote
As a last resort, you can troubleshoot the DirecTV remote by resetting it to factory defaults. It will solve many problems like pairing issues, some remote buttons not responding, or any lag in performance. Follow the steps to reset the DirecTV remote to factory defaults.
- Press and hold the MUTE and SELECT buttons together at a time.
- Keep hold of these buttons until the green light blinks twice.
- Next, press the 9-8-1 and SELECT buttons consequently.
- As a result, the remote indicator light will flash green four times.
- Then press the LIST, GUIDE, or MENU buttons to test the remote functions.
Besides using the original DirecTV remote, you can use the DirecTV Remote app to control the TV. Furthermore, you shall even purchase and use the universal remote to control DirecTV. However, to take advantage of this option, you should program the universal remote with valid DirecTV remote codes.
Frequently Asked Questions
If the DirecTV remote not changing channels, but the volume works, it is because of obstructions between the remote and the sensor. Remove unwanted objects and make sure to operate the remote in a direct line of sight.
You can contact DirecTV customer service 1.800.531.5000 and explain the issue to the DirecTV support team.