DirecTV Remote Blinking Red Light: Reasons and DIY Fixes
DirecTV is a leading TV provider for watching live TV and on-demand entertainment. However, the remote may put you in trouble sometimes and make you frustrated. Just like the DirecTV remote not working, some users have reported that the red light on the DirecTV remote stays on unexpectedly. Although it isn’t a serious issue, you should troubleshoot it to fix this issue without fuss.
Why Does DirecTV Remote Blink Red Light
If the red light continuously flashes on the DirecTV remote, it may be for the following reasons.
|1||If the remote batteries are about to drain, you will see a red light indication on the remote|
|2||The red light glows if the remote is disconnected from the DirecTV receiver due to an error|
|3||If there is dust inside the remote, it will lead to hardware damage, so the red light begins to flash|
|4||Due to memory failure, the red light on the DirecTV remote will glow until it gets resolved|
How to Fix DirecTV Remote Blinking Red Light
If the red light flashes on the DirecTV remote without stopping, it can be fixed by the following methods.
Power Refreshing the Remote
Power refreshing is a technique to drain the residual power within the remote. So, it is essential if you are replacing old batteries with newer ones. Follow the below instructions to power refresh the DirecTV remote.
- Remove the battery cover of your DirecTV remote.
- Pop out the batteries from the remote compartment.
- Next, press and hold the remote keys one by one for 3 seconds.
- Lastly, insert the batteries back in and close the battery cover.
If the DirecTV remote red light still appears, move on to the next fix.
Restart the TV
Sometimes, any minor issues get resolved if you restart the TV. Here’s how to do it.
- Switch off the TV by pressing the physical power button or using the remote.
- Unplug the TV cord and keep it aside for a few minutes.
- After 3 minutes, plug the TV cord back into the power outlet.
FYI: Check whether a strip or divider is not defective. To avoid issues, plug the cord into a wall outlet.
Reset DirecTV Receiver
Resetting is another best fix if there may be technical issues with the receiver. Follow the below steps to reset the DirecTV receiver.
- Locate and press and hold the reset button on the DirecTV receiver.
- The reset button is primarily located on the front or side of the receiver.
- It will take around 10 minutes to reboot the DirecTV receiver and revert to factory settings.
Reset DirecTV Remote
If the red light is still blinking on the remote, you must reset the DirecTV remote. Here’s how to do it.
- Press and hold the Select and Mute buttons together at a time.
- The indicator light on the remote will flash. This means it is ready for a reset.
- Press the 9-8-1 buttons in sequence and then click the Select button.
- The reset gets completed if the indicator light flashes four times.
Check whether the red light om DirecTV remote is staying on. If yes, try the next method to fix it.
Re-Pairing the Remote
As we have reset the DirecTV remote, it will disconnect the remote from the TV. So, you must re-pair the remote if it doesn’t pair with your TV. Follow the below instructions to manually pair the DirecTV remote.
- Aim the DirecTV remote at the TV and click the Setup key.
- Press and hold the Enter and Mute buttons simultaneously.
- Release these buttons if you see RF/IR setup message on the TV screen.
- The DirecTV remote has been successfully paired with your TV.
Note: For an extended guide, you shall learn to program codes for DirecTV and check out the step-by-step programming instructions.
Cleaning the Remote
If there is plenty of dust particles inside the remote, it will affect the remote hardware. Therefore, you should clean the DirecTV remote by following the instructions.
- Eject the batteries from the DirecTV remote’s battery compartment.
- Disassemble the remote by unscrewing the two screws near the battery compartment.
- Then use a clean, dry cotton cloth to wipe out the dust on the hardware.
- Once you have cleaned it, assemble the remote as it was before.
- Finally, insert the batteries back into the DirecTV remote and test it.
Note: If the solid red light on DirecTV remote is still blinking even after cleaning the hardware, it may be defective.
Contact DirecTV Support
If the DirecTV remote red light remains on after following these methods, you must contact DirecTV support to fix it. Moreover, you can also order a new or replacement remote control by visiting their official website. You will be asked to sign in with your DirecTV username and password. That’s how to fix the red light on the DirecTV remote.
Alternatively, we recommend using the Inteset 4-in-1 Universal IR Learning Remote to control the DirecTV receiver. It can even control four devices at a time. Also, it features fully backlit keys for clear vision in low light. Other than that, there are some best remotes for DirecTV, which can be purchased online on Amazon.
Bonus Trick – Use the DirecTV App as a Remote
Those with DirecTV receiver models HR20 or above can use the DirecTV app as a remote control. It is a temporary solution, or you can use it until the red light on DirecTV Remote blinking stops. For this to work, connect your receiver and smartphone to the same WIFI network. Follow the below instructions to install and use the DirecTV remote app.
- Go to the Play Store or App Store on your Android or iOS smartphone.
- Search for DirecTV and choose the respective app.
- Click Get or Install to install the app on your smartphone.
- Later, click Open to launch the DirecTV app on your Android or iOS device.
- Sign in to your DirecTV account.
- Next, click the Browse for TV option.
- Further, tap the Remote icon.
- Then, select the receiver from the drop-down list.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to finish the setup.
Start controlling the DirecTV receiver from your smartphone.
Frequently Asked Questions
If the red light on the RC73 DirecTV remote stays on, change the batteries and power reset the remote to eliminate residual power. It will solve the red light blinking issue.
If the red light stays solid on the DirecTV box, it indicates that the signal strength is poor.
The solid red light on the Genie remote indicates that the batteries are drained or dead.