Onn Roku TV Remote Not Working: Here’s How to Fix
Onn TV is available at a competitive price and offers advanced features within its budget. In addition, it is available on both Android and Roku-based platforms. However, some users have reported issues when the remotes get old. If the Onn Roku TV remote is not working, follow the below troubleshooting methods to fix it. Optionally, you can use Roku Remote App to control the Onn Roku TV if the physical remote controller isn’t working.
Reasons for Onn Roku TV Remote Not Working
Scenario 1: If you have been using the Onn TV remote for many years, there are chances for the user to forget to replace the old batteries with newer ones.
Scenario 2: When the remote has fallen from your hand, it will affect the Onn TV remote’s internal parts and lead to physical damage.
Scenario 3: If you place any electronic items, books, or speakers in front of the TV sensor, it is impossible for the Onn TV to receive IR signals from the remote.
Scenario 4: If you spill a soft or hard drink on the remote, it will lead to a defective remote.
Quick Fixes for Onn Roku TV Remote Not Working
Here are the troubleshooting methods to fix the Onn TV remote if it doesn’t work properly.
Change Remote Batteries
If the remote batteries don’t have sufficient charge, the Onn TV remote will stop working. Moreover, you can easily identify the problem in the initial stage if you get a delayed response from the remote.
- If the batteries are drained or dead, pop out the batteries from the battery compartment.
- Insert the pair of new branded batteries back into the compartment.
- Then close the battery cover and check if the Onn TV remote is working or not.
Drain the Power Residuals
Sometimes the Onn TV remote may not work due to power residuals.
- To sort this issue, again remove the batteries from the battery compartment. Clean the battery terminals with clean cotton cloth if there is any smudge or dust.
- After removing the batteries, press and hold the Power button on the remote for about 30 seconds.
- Then press all the remote buttons one by one. It will drain the power residuals from the remote.
- Later, pop in the batteries and test if the Onn TV remote issues are fixed.
Repair Stuck Buttons
Sometimes, Onn TV remote buttons get jammed because of dirt or smudge. If you are convenient with dismantling the remote, follow this trick, or skip to the next method.
- You need to use a screwdriver to dismantle the remote. After that, take a clean cotton cloth and wipe the remote keys to remove the dirt.
- Don’t use any alcohol cleaner in this case.
- Once you have cleaned it, assemble the remote as it was before.
- Insert the batteries back into the remote and close the battery cover. Next, aim the Onn TV remote at the TV and test if it is working or not.
- Moreover, you shall whack the backside of the remote with your hand if the remote doesn’t work.
Soft Reset Onn TV
You have to power cycle the Onn TV, which will solve many problems, including the remote not working.
- The soft reset will not delete the installed applications and the data but will eliminate internal errors. To do this, unplug the Onn TV cord from the source.
- Keep the cord unplugged for about 60 seconds. After that, press and hold the TV power button for 60 seconds.
- Lastly, plug the TV cord back in and turn on your Onn TV. Test the remote whether it is working without any problems.
Note: Check out the guidelines to find the causes and fixes of the Hisense TV Remote Not Working issue to get it fixed.
Remove the Obstructions
If you are using IR based Onn TV remote, make sure to operate in a direct line of sight. This way, Onn TV can easily receive signals from the remote.
- Suppose you place any objects between the Onn TV and the remote, then you won’t able to use the remote. Therefore, keep the electronic devices or any other stuff a little away from the TV sensor.
- If you notice any smudge on the TV sensor, wipe it using a clean cloth. Later, check if the remote is working properly.
Check the WIFI Network
For Onn Roku TVs, it is mandatory to have a stable WIFI network to make the remote work without any issues.
- If there is an unstable connection, you have to restart the router to fix it. The WIFI router will have a reset button on its backside.
- Locate the reset button and press on it to restart the router.
- After this process, connect your Onn Roku TV to the WIFI network and pair the remote, and test whether the problems have been fixed.
Pair the Roku Remote
In general, Onn Roku TV remotes must be paired before you start using them. The remote needs a stable WIFI network as it uses WIFI signals to control the Onn Roku TV. If the remote has been unpaired unexpectedly, you should pair the Roku remote again for further use. You can use the Roku app to control the Onn Roku TV before that.
- Go to Settings, scroll down and click on Remote from the list. Further, click on Pair remote. Follow the on-screen instructions to pair the remote with the Onn Roku TV.
- Press and hold the Pairing button for about 3-5 seconds inside the battery compartment. After it gets paired, test the remote whether it works perfectly or not.
Note: There are ways to Connect Roku to WiFi Without Remote, and is useful if the physical remote isn’t working.
Factory Reset Onn TV
If the Onn TV remote is still not working, it is better to do a factory reset to resolve the issue.
- Locate the Reset button on your Onn Smart TV. The reset button is located on the backside of the TV or below the TV frame.
- Press and hold the reset button for about 20 seconds until the screen is turned off.
- The TV will reboot once it deletes all the data and the installed apps. Lastly, check if the Onn TV remote is working.
Purchase a Universal Remote
If the Onn TV remote keeps disappointing you by not working, the one last chance is to buy a universal remote.
- Amazon is the largest marketplace to purchase replacement remote control for Onn Android TV and Onn Roku TV.
- Make sure to read the product details and the compatible TV models before you buy anything. Wisely choose Android and Roku remotes because they vary for each model.
Frequently Asked Questions
Download and install the Roku app on your Android or iOS device to control Onn Roku TV. This app is available on the Google Play Store and App Store for free download.
You can fix the Onn Roku TV remote problems by replacing the old batteries, soft resetting the TV, resetting the Roku remote, restarting the WIFI router, re-pairing the remote, or resetting it to factory defaults.