How to Fix LG TV Remote Not Working Issue
LG is the second largest TV manufacturer, updating its features and technology. It offers OLED TVs, Super UHD TVs, Smart TVs, and much more. Notably, LG OLED TVs have AI ThinQ technology for providing intelligent voice-activated control features. If you purchase an LG Smart TV, you will get a Magic Remote and a Standard remote. However, due to some reasons, you might witness the LG TV remote not working issue. This can be due to technical or physical damage preventing it from working normally.
Fixes For LG TV Remote Not Working
The LG TV remote not working issue can be annoying, but there are a few troubleshooting processes that would help you fix the issue yourself. Moreover, it is good to be aware of the reason causing the issue to prevent it from happening again.
Check Remote Batteries
LG TV Remote will not work if the batteries are completely drained. So, replace the old batteries with newer ones to resolve this issue. While replacing the batteries, insert them properly according to their positive and negative nodes. Then check whether the remote works fine after the battery replacement.
Power Cycle the TV Remote
The issue is still not fixed if you have tried replacing your remote batteries. Then, you can try performing a power cycle on the remote. Doing so would remove all the electrical interferences and internal glitches that normally stop the remote from working.
1. Remove the batteries from the remote and wait for two to three minutes.
2. This is to drain the residual charge completely.
3. Now, insert the batteries back into the slot.
4. Finally, try to turn on your TV and control it by switching between channels or adjusting the volume. This is to check if the remote is working fine.
Power Cycle on the LG TV
The issue can also be due to technical glitches or software issues. So, try to power cycle the LG TV and see if it helps.
1. Turn off the TV and unplug it from the power supply.
2. Wait 2-3 minutes for the TV to drain its charges completely.
3. Now, plug the TV back into the power supply.
4. Turn on the TV and check if everything works fine.
Clear the Interference
The Mode of transmitting the IR signal from the remote to the TV happens when the receiver and transmitter are in line without obstacles. If you want to turn on or off or change TV channels up and down, the remote requires a clear line of sight for the IR ray to reach the sensor. Therefore, if you place any objects in front of your TV sensor, then make sure to remove them from the path. And ensure you are trying to use the remote within the range of 10 feet from the receiver.
Clean the Contact Pad
The remote will not work properly if there is a speck of dirt or smudge on the contact pad. Hence, disassemble the remote control and clean the contact pads carefully. Using an alcohol-based cleaner with a soft cotton cloth for cleaning is best. Avoid direct contact of the remote with water while you clean, as it would internally damage the remote.
Check the Remote Pairing
Before trying reliable troubleshooting methods, check if the remote is paired with the TV device.
1. Turn on your LG Smart TV.
2. If you have multiple LG Smart TVs, turn off other TVs to avoid confusion while pairing the device.
3. Next, keep your remote in the shortest range. So that the remote can pair easily with a high Bluetooth signal.
Re-register your Remote
This method is useful to troubleshoot a magic remote if that is not working.
1. First, press and hold the Home and Back buttons together for about 5 seconds.
2. Hold still until the red LED light starts blinking.
3. You have successfully unregistered the Magic remote from your TV.
4. Press the mouse pointer button beneath the D-Pad on your remote.
Note: You shall press the scroll wheel if you cannot see the mouse pointer button.
5. Finally, it will re-pair the magic remote to your LG smart TV.
Restart your LG Smart TV
You can try restarting your LG TV to eliminate internal errors.
1. Locate the power button on either left or right side of your TV.
2. Gently press and hold the power button to turn off your TV.
3. Continue to hold the power button for about 15 seconds.
4. Later, switch on the TV by long pressing the power button.
Use LG ThinQ App
Alternatively, you can use the LG TV remote app if the above methods don’t resolve the issue. LG ThinQ is the official remote controller app supported for iOS and Android devices.
1. Install the LG ThinQ app on your smartphone.
2. Open the LG ThinQ app.
3. Sign up with your LG account to continue. You can create a new one if you don’t have an account.
4. Ensure your smartphone and LG TV are connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
5. Next, click on Add Product and then select TV.
6. A code will be displayed on the TV screen. Enter that code on your smartphone and tap OK.
7. Choose your TV from the home screen to view the remote control.
If only the power button on the LG Tv is not working, try to turn on the TV using the default power button. Now, check if all the other buttons are working fine. If the rest of the keys are working, then there is a chance for dust to be stuck in the keys, so try cleaning them. Finally, if none of the keys are working, then try troubleshooting or replacing the remote.
If the remote is not working after replacing the new batteries, check if the battery is placed with the correct polarities or check on the batteries by trying it with some other device to see if it works.