Harmony Remote Not Working: Reasons and DIY Fixes
Logitech Harmony remote is best for controlling TVs, home theatres, set-top boxes, gaming consoles, streaming players, etc. Nevertheless, at some point, the universal remote may not work properly for specific reasons. Weak batteries, unstable internet, and physical damage are the common reasons for the Harmony remote to stop working. Amidst this, the users don’t need to bother even if they are not sure about the cause. We have recommended some troubleshooting methods to rectify the issue on your own.
Why is Harmony Remote Not Working
If the Harmony Remote encounters a pairing issue, the following reasons can be the odds.
|1||If the infrared signals are blocked by any obstructions, the IR remote won’t work|
|2||Due to physical damage or liquid spillage, the Harmony remote may become faulty|
|3||If batteries have inadequate charge, the remote will have slow responsiveness|
|4||Issues on your WIFI network will be responsible for unexpected disconnections|
DIY Fixes for Harmony Remote Not Working
If the Harmony remote is not responding, you can fix it through the troubleshooting methods given below.
Replace the Old Batteries
Harmony Pro, Elite, and Harmony 950 remotes use only one Lithium-ion battery which is rechargeable. Possibly, the remote batteries can drain faster than usual because it combines multiple remote into one. If the batteries are weak or dead, it is the key reason for the Harmony remote to stop working.
- Take your Harmony remote and flip the cover.
- Use your thumb finger to uplift the battery cover.
- Pop out the old battery and replace it with a newer one.
Then pair the Harmony remote with your device and check if it is working without any flaws. If there is an issue with your dock charger, it will cause the remote batteries to drain due to insufficient charge.
Clear the Obstructions
If you are using an IR remote, make sure that the remote has a proper line of sight to transmit IR signals. In case speakers and soundbars are placed in between the device and the remote, it is impossible for the remote to transmit signals to the receiver. Relocate the obstructing objects and ensure that the remote has a clear line of sight.
Check the WIFI Network
The Harmony remote may not sync with a device due to unstable internet. In some cases, the remote won’t pair if the Harmony remote app is not connected to the same WIFI network as your Harmony Hub. You can reset the WIFI router in case the bandwidth is very poor. Visit fast.com from a mobile or PC to test the internet speed.
Learn Remote Commands
If any commands are not working on the Harmony remote, you can use the MyHarmony desktop software to fix the issue. You can use the following procedure for both Hub-based and IR remotes.
1. Visit https://support.myharmony.com/en-bd/download from any PC browser.
2. Download the MyHarmony desktop software app on your Windows or Mac.
3. Open the MyHarmony desktop software app and sign in with valid details.
4. Choose your remote from the gallery.
5. Click Devices from the left menu and choose the device that you want to modify.
6. Tap Add or Fix a Command.
7. Turn on Fix a command that doesn’t work, choose a command that you want to learn, and click Next.
8. Connect the Harmony remote to your PC using the USB cable.
9. Point the original remote control to the Harmony remote’s IR sensor or Hub.
Tip: Both remotes should be in the range of 3 inches from one another.
10. Press any button on the original remote and hold it for 1-2 seconds to copy the function.
11. If the command is recognized, you will get a notification on the MyHarmony desktop software screen.
12. Tap Finish once you have completed it.
Further, you have to sync the Harmony remote to make it work.
Sync Harmony Remote
Once the commands are copied from the original remote, the Harmony remote needs to be synced to reflect the changes. Follow the below steps to sync changes using the Harmony remote.
1. Press the Menu button on the Harmony remote and click on Settings.
2. Tap Sync Remote to begin the process.
If you want to sync using the Harmony mobile app, click Menu → Harmony Setup → Sync.
Update the Harmony Firmware
You must keep your Harmony firmware updated to avoid technical errors while using the remote control. You can either update it from the remote or use the mobile app.
- Press the Menu button and click on Settings.
- Tap General and click About.
- The new update will be automatically installed if available.
After installing the update, you can reboot the Harmony remote to see the changes.
Reboot Harmony Remote
You can reboot the Harmony remote if it is not connecting to the Hub. This method is suitable for Harmony Pro, Elite, Ultimate, Ultimate One, or Touch remotes. To restart the remote, press the Off button at the top corner and hold it for at least 15 seconds. After rebooting the remote, check whether you can be able to pair the remote with your device. Test the functions by pressing the remote keys manually.
Reset Harmony Remote
If the Harmony remote touchscreen is not working, you can reset the remote to fix the issue.
- Press the Menu and Off buttons simultaneously for about 20 seconds.
- The remote’s display will turn off and turn on. Now you can see the remote’s image with a circular arrow.
- Wait for a few seconds until the remote is reset to factory settings.
Next, sync the remote with your device and check whether it works now.
Reset Harmony Hub
Sometimes, the remote may fail to respond if the issue is within the Harmony Hub. You can reset the Hub to fix it.
- Unplug the power cord of the Harmony Hub.
- Press the Pair/Reset button on the backside of the Hub and reconnect the cord.
- The red light on the Hub will flicker for 30 seconds to indicate that the Hub is reset to factory defaults.
After the reset, you can test if the Harmony remote is connecting with the Hub.
Contact Harmony Support
If Harmony remote is no longer working even after troubleshooting, you can contact Harmony Support for further assistance. Once you visit the Support webpage, choose the remote model to get instructions on setup, troubleshooting, and more. For convenience, reach out to the toll-free number +1.510.683.5644 on Monday-Friday between 9 AM to 9 PM (ET).
Press the Menu (situated above the Channel Up key) and Off keys together at a time for 20 seconds. This will reset the Logitech Harmony 665 remote to default.