Foxtel Remote Not Working: Reasons and DIY Fixes
Foxtel is a subscription-based provider and a TV brand that offers services in cable, satellite, and IPTV. It also ships with the Foxtel Voice Remote on purchase of the iQ5, iQ4, or iQ3 streaming box. However, at some point, the Foxtel remote may not be working due to several reasons. Apart from this, users have reported the Foxtel remote not working and showing a red light or iq3 flashing blue light. Besides buying a replacement remote, we have provided instant solutions to fix the issue on your own.
Why is My Foxtel Remote Not Working
The reasons for the Foxtel remote stopped working are listed as follows.
|1||If the remote doesn’t have sufficient charge in the batteries, the remote won’t work as before|
|2||If the remote is malfunctioning, it may be due to physical damage or any liquid spillage|
|3||Due to pairing issues, the remote can’t be accessible as it fails to pair with the streaming box|
|4||Because of excessive dirt, the remote keys may get stuck inside which leads the remote to stop working|
DIY Fixes for Foxtel Remote Not Working Issue
The following are things you should do to troubleshoot the Foxtel remote not working issue.
Wake the Remote
In some cases, the remote won’t work unless you wake it. Also, check if the remote has power by pressing any button. If a red light starts to blink, it indicates that it has sufficient power. Follow these steps to wake the remote control.
- Press the Power button on the Foxtel remote.
- Then press the Vol+ and Vol- buttons consequently for 5 times.
- Now you will see the volume bar on the TV screen.
- Following that, the LED light on the underside of the iQ box begins to flash orange.
If that happens, the remote issues have been solved.
Check the Battery Level
If you can’t use voice commands, it is because of low battery. Fortunately, you can easily check the remote’s battery level by following the below instructions.
- Click the Settings icon in the top right corner of the screen.
- Tap System Settings and click Go to system settings.
- Choose Foxtel remote. You can see the percentage of power left under the Battery section.
- Full (80-100%)
- Good (30-80%)
- Low (10-30%)
- Low, requires battery replacement (0-10%)
- Unknown (0%)
If the battery level is below 10%, you can buy 2 new AA batteries. Then replace the old batteries with newer ones.
Note: Likewise, you can fix the CHiQ TV Remote Not Working issue by changing the batteries.
Check the Internet Connection
If voice search is not working on the Foxtel remote, check if the iQ streaming box is connected to an internet connection.
- Press the Home button on the Foxtel remote.
- Go to Settings, highlight Internet Connection, and press the Ok button.
- Further, scroll to Network Test and press the Ok button.
- Once iQ establishes an internet connection, you can see, “All good your iQ is connected to Foxtel.”
Test if voice search is working upon pairing the remote with your iQ box.
Drain Residual Power
Sometimes, the Foxtel remote may stop working due to residual power in the remote. Follow the below instructions to deplete the unwanted power on the Voice or Bluetooth remote.
- Pop out the batteries from the remote.
- Press all the remote keys one by one at least 4-5 times.
- This will eliminate the residual power that was left in the remote.
- Finally, insert the batteries based on their positive and negative terminals.
Test the remote control to see whether it works without any issues.
Pair the Remote
You have to pair the remote with the streaming box to work. You must check whether the Foxtel box is turned on. The streaming box’s front frame will display a blue light if the status is active. In addition, check if the batteries are inserted in the remote. Before pairing, ensure that there is a direct line of sight between the remote and the box.
- Aim the remote at the Foxtel box once it is turned on.
- Press the Foxtel and Select buttons on the remote and keep hold simultaneously.
- Release both buttons if the blue light blinks twice in the top left corner of the remote.
- If the remote pairing is successful, it will display a pop-up message on the screen.
Tip: In case you don’t see a flashing blue light, eject the batteries and keep it aside. After 20 seconds, reinsert the batteries and try pairing the remote again.
Enable the Bluetooth
For pairing the remote via Bluetooth, ensure that the feature is turned on. If you haven’t enabled Bluetooth, follow the instructions to do the same.
- Go to Settings by clicking the gear icon in the top right corner.
- Tap System Settings → Go to system settings.
- Choose Bluetooth and turn it on.
- Further, select Remote & accessories in the settings section.
- Unpair the Foxtel remote if it appears.
- After that, click Add accessory.
- If the remote has been detected, press the Ok button to pair.
- Else, press and hold the Ok and Home buttons for 4 seconds until the red light flashes.
You have successfully paired the remote via Bluetooth. Check whether the remote is now working without any errors.
Unpair and Re-pair the Remote
If a few buttons on the Foxtel Voice remote are not working, you can unpair and repair the remote to fix the issue. Before you begin the process, ensure that no objects are obstructing the remote’s signals. Follow the steps to unpair a Foxtel remote.
- Aim the remote at the Foxtel streaming box.
- Press the Home and Select buttons and hold them together for 4 seconds.
- Release both buttons if the red light flashes on the top left corner of the remote.
- You have successfully unpaired the Foxtel remote.
Steps to repair the Voice remote
- Aim the remote at the Foxtel box.
- Press the Foxtel and Select buttons simultaneously and keep hold of them at a time.
- Release these buttons if a blue light begins to flash a couple of times.
- A notification will appear on the screen if the Voice remote is paired.
- Press the random remote keys to test the remote functions.
FYI: A blue light will flash, indicating that the remote is paired using Bluetooth.
Steps to repair the Bluetooth remote
- Aim the Foxtel remote at the iQ streaming box.
- Press the Foxtel and Select buttons and hold them together for 4 seconds.
- Release both buttons if the blue light starts flashing two times.
- Keep the remote closer to the front side of the iQ streaming box.
- Press the Bluetooth button, and the corresponding button will begin to flash.
- Press the Select button and keep hold of it when the blue light stops blinking and remains idle.
Now, you can test the remote control by pressing the buttons randomly.
Reset the Foxtel Remote
If the Foxtel remote is not responding at all, you can reset the remote to factory settings by the following steps.
- Press the Ok and Vol+ buttons on the remote and hold them for up to 4 seconds.
- If the red light flashes thrice and turns off automatically, it indicates that the remote is reset.
Now, you can start using the Foxtel remote via IR mode.
Reset the Foxtel Now Box
If the problem is with the Foxtel Now box, it is recommended to factory reset the iQ streaming box to fix the issue.
- Locate the Reset button on the underside of the iQ streaming box.
- Use a paperclip or toothpick to press the Reset button and hold it for 4 seconds.
FYI: Keep hold of the Reset button until it shows the Factory data reset message on the screen.
- Further, select Factory data reset and press the Ok button.
- Then click on Erase everything and press the Ok button.
Your device will restart automatically to finish the reset. Relogin with your Foxtel Now account. Go to Play Store to reinstall the apps which you want to use. Pair the remote again to start controlling it.
Contact Foxtel Support
Still, if you have issues using the Foxtel remote, no need to worry. You can get further assistance by visiting the Foxtel support webpage. For convenience, you can Live chat to get a quick response. Otherwise, you can directly reach out to the toll-free number 1300 657 346 between 9 am to 8 pm on all weekdays.
If none of the above troubleshooting helps in resolving Foxtel remote not working issue, you can purchase a new Foxtel remote control or a replacement remote. Apart from this, you shall even use a universal remote to control the TV.
You can use the MyFoxtel app to control your Foxtel box without a remote. It is free to install on Android and iOS devices from the Play Store and App Store.