How to Turn On Firestick Without a Remote
- Amazon Fire TV App: Open the app → Sign in → Select Firestick → Enter code → Press the Alexa button → Say “Turn Fire TV [on/off]” → Now it will turn on/off Firestick without a remote.
- Enable HDMI-CEC on your Smart TV and use the TV remote to control your Fire TV Stick.
- Using Echo Dot: Open Amazon Alexa app → Click More → Settings → Choose TV & Video → Select Fire TV → Link Your Alexa Device → Follow the instructions → Say, “Alexa, Turn on/off Fire TV.”
- Using Remote for FireTV & Firestick App: Open Remote for FireTV & Firestick → Connect phone and Firestick to same WiFi → Select Firestick → Press the Power button to turn on/off.
If your Firestick remote is not working, you will wonder how to turn on a Firestick without a remote. Fortunately, there are many alternative ways to switch on your Firestick without using the original remote. As Firestick is powered by Alexa, you can use voice-enabled smart speakers like Echo Dot to turn on your Fire TV. Other than that, you can install and use the remote app to turn on your Fire TV from your Android or iPhone.
This article explains the convenient ways to turn on your Firestick without a remote.
How to Turn On Amazon Firestick Without a Remote
Based on your convenience, you can follow any of the methods to turn on your Fire TV or Firestick.
Use Amazon Fire TV App to Turn On Firestick
Amazon Fire TV is an official remote application that lets you switch on Fire OS devices like Firestick and Fire TV from a phone. For this to work, you must connect Firestick to WiFi, which should be the same as your Android or iPhone.
1. Open the Amazon Fire TV app on Android or iPhone.
2. Sign in to the Amazon account and select your Firestick from the devices.
3. It will display a pairing code on the Firestick-connected TV.
4. Enter the 4-digit code in the remote app to pair it.
5. Once connected, you will get the remote interface to control the device.
6. Press the Alexa button on the remote and say, “Turn Fire TV [on/off].”
Note: If the Fire TV remote app is not working, ensure you have a strong WiFi network.
Use the TV Remote to Turn on Firestick
You can even use the TV remote to control your Firestick effortlessly. For this purpose, you must enable HDMI-CEC settings on your TV. This feature can be called different by television brands. By enabling this feature on your TV, you can turn on/off your Fire TV Stick with the TV remote.
- Samsung: Anynet+
- Sharp: Aquos Link
- Sony: BRAVIA Link and BRAVIA Sync
- Onkyo: RIHD
- LG: SimpLink
- Vizio: CEC
- Hitachi: HDMI-CEC
- Panasonic: VIERA Link
- Mitsubishi: Realink for HDMI
- Runco International: RuncoLink
- Toshiba: CE-Link and Regza Link
As we have a Samsung TV, we have explained how to turn on Anynet+ in the below steps.
1. Tap Home key on the Samsung TV remote. Click Settings and choose All Settings.
2. Click Connect, select External Device Manager, and choose Anynet+ (HDMI CEC).
3. Turn ON Anynet+ (HDMI CEC).
4. Connect the Firestick to the Samsung TV using an HDMI cable.
5. Press the Power button on the Samsung TV remote to turn on the Fire TV Stick.
Using Amazon Echo or Echo Dot to Turn on Firestick
We recommend using the Amazon Alexa application to pair your Alexa device with your Fire TV or Firestick. So, you can use voice commands on your Alexa device to control your Firestick for turning it on, play titles, playback controls, etc. Ensure you have the latest firmware and install the Amazon Alexa app on your phone from the respective app store.
1. Open the Amazon Alexa app, click More, and select Settings.
Note: If you are using the app for the first time, log in with the same Amazon account as your Firestick.
2. Choose the TV & Video option, and select the Fire TV from the list of devices.
3. Click the Link Your Alexa Device option and follow the on-screen guidelines.
4. Once connected, you can talk to your smart speaker to control the connected device.
5. Say “Alexa, Turn on/off Fire TV.”
Use Third-Party Remote App to Turn on Firestick
You can use third-party remote apps for Firestick to turn on your Fire TV and control it without a remote. If you are confused about choosing the remote app, here are our recommendations.
Remote for FireTV & Firestick
Remote for Fire TV & Firestick is a third-party application that uses WiFi to control the device. Ensure you connect the phone and Firesick to the same WiFi before you start using the app.
1. Open the Play Store app on your smartphone.
2. Enter Remote for Fire TV & FireStick on the search field.
3. Click Install to initiate the installation.
4. After the installation, open the application on your phone. Select your Firestick from the prompt.
5. Tap the Power key on the remote interface to turn on/off the device.
Use Someone’s Firestick Remote to Turn On Firestick
If necessary, you can borrow a Fire TV remote from someone and use it to turn on your device. Firestick, by default, supports pairing up to 7 remotes. So, you can pair someone’s remote with your Firestick and use it in an emergency. Before pairing, you need to reset the Fire TV remote.
1. Unplug the Firestick from the port and hold on for a minute.
2. Press the Left, Options, and Back buttons simultaneously for 12 seconds.
3. Release the buttons after the light starts blinking.
4. Remove the batteries from the remote.
5. Plug the Firestick back into the TV and wait a few seconds.
6. Insert the batteries into the Fire TV remote and close the battery compartment.
7. Press any button on the remote to pair the Fire TV remote.
Buy a Replacement Firestick Remote
If you don’t feel the above methods are convenient, buy a universal remote for Firestick. It is comparatively cheaper than buying an original Alexa Voice Remote. If you buy an infrared-based Firestick remote control, you don’t need to pair the remote. Point the remote in a direct line of sight and press the Power button to turn it on or off.
It may be due to weak batteries. Replace the old batteries with newer ones and try again.
Yes. Install and use the Amazon Fire TV app on your iPhone to connect Firestick to WiFi.
Install the IR blaster remote app on your Android and use the app to reset the Fire TV Stick.