Fios TV Remote Not Working: Know the Reasons & DIY Fixes
If your Fios TV remote not working or malfunctioning, it may be due to drained batteries, pairing issues, obstructions, or internal damage. Due to this issue, you can’t be able to increase or decrease the volume and switch controls to STB, DVD, or TV. Though the Fios TV remote has underlying issues, it can be easily fixed with basic troubleshooting methods. Remember, if you have a faulty remote, it is better to buy a Fios replacement remote as troubleshooting won’t work.
Main Reasons for Fios TV Remote Not Working
|1||If you forget to replace the old batteries with newer ones, the remote won’t work|
|2||If the remote has a pairing issue with the Fios set-top box, you cannot use it|
|3||Fios box won’t receive IR signals from the remote if an object obstructs the signal|
|4||The remote will reflect signs like some buttons don’t respond due to physical damage|
|5||If the remote has become defective due to wear and tear of electronics|
|6||The remote buttons may stuck sometimes due to dirt on their edges|
|7||A technical issue might have occurred in a Fios box due to a software glitch|
DIY Fixes for Fios Remote Not Working
The following are expert-recommended troubleshooting methods to fix the Verizon Fios TV remote not working issue.
Replace the Batteries
Drained or weak batteries may be the first cause behind the Fios remote not responding. In some cases, the Fios TV remote may not be working even after changing batteries. This indicates that the battery terminals are faulty due to excessive dust.
- If the remote batteries don’t have sufficient charge, you will notice poor performance while operating the remote.
- At that time, you should replace the old batteries with newer ones. For long-lasting battery life, we recommend using Duracell AA batteries.
Check Pairing Status
If the remote has been unpaired, you won’t be able to use the Fios TV remote. In such situations, you will see random data on the LCD even though the set-top box is dysfunctional. So, you should program the Fios remote to the cable box to make it work.
How to Pair Fios Voice Remote
1. Aim the Fios Voice Remote at the TV.
2. Press and hold the Play/Pause and O buttons together.
3. Keep hold of these buttons until the remote LED light blinks blue.
4. If the LED light stops blinking, the Fios remote has been paired successfully.
5. It will auto-detect the TV or audio system if connected to the set-top box.
How to Pair P265 Remote
1. Press and hold the OK and Fios TV buttons simultaneously.
💡 Release these buttons if the remote LED light flashes red twice and stays idle.
2. Continuously press the Play/Pause button on the remote until the exact remote code is identified.
3. If the code has been found, it will turn off your TV.
4. Next, press the physical power button of the TV to turn it on.
5. Lastly, click the OK button to store the code.
How to Pair P283 Big Button and Philips RC1445302 Remote
1. Press the OK and 0 buttons simultaneously.
2. Release these buttons once the remote indicator light flashes red and stays idle.
3. Enter the 3-digit remote code for your TV brand.
4. Repeatedly press the Channel Down button until your TV is turned off.
5. The remote will be paired if the TV gets turned off.
6. Press the Power button to switch on the TV and tap OK to store the code.
How to Pair Motorola 800 Remote
1. Press and hold the TV button for about six seconds.
2. Next, press and hold the Power button.
📌 The device button will flash three times before it gets turned off.
3. After that, press the Up button on the remote repeatedly until it turns off the TV.
4. Then, press the Power button to switch on the TV.
5. Lastly, click the OK button to save the code.
Note: Like Fios TV, the Mi TV remote not working issue can be fixed by unpairing and re-pairing the remote again.
Clear the Obstructions
As the Fios remote works by sending IR signals to the sensor. You must operate the remote in a direct line of sight.
- If there is a soundbar or furniture in between the TV and the remote, the remote won’t work.
- Therefore, remove such objects and ensure that there is no obstruction.
- Also, remember that the optimum range for operating the remote is less than 30 feet.
Fix if the Device is Inactive
Sometimes, the device will be inactive for some reason. The set-top box may show the data on the LCD but it will not work. Though you see a random channel number, it won’t respond to the remote. This happens if your device was not properly linked with the remote.
1. Press the Menu button on the remote.
2. Move down and choose the Customer Support option.
3. Open Home Agent and select the Program Remote.
4. Then follow the on-screen instructions to link the remote.
Power Cycle the TV
A soft reset is another useful method to fix the Fios remote not working issue.
- To do this, unplug the TV cord from the wall socket. Keep it unplugged for about 60 seconds.
- After a minute, plug the TV cord back in.
- Further, press and hold the power button of the TV for 30 seconds.
- It will drain the power residuals from the TV and fix minor issues.
- Later, restart the TV and check if the remote is working without any problems.
Fix Overheating Issue
In the rarest case, the set-top is prone to overheating, although the room temperature is moderate. As a result, you cannot use the Fios remote. To fix this, you shall modify a few settings using the Fios TV mobile app. This app works only if your device is connected to the same WiFi network as your Fios Box.
1. Open the Fios TV Mobile app on your smartphone once you install the app from its app store.
2. Press the Menu button on the remote control.
3. Tap Settings, scroll down, and click on Hardware Settings.
4. Scroll down and select Low for Front Panel Brightness and Front Panel Brightness (Night).
Note: You can also turn off the set-top box for 20-30 minutes to cool down.
Restart Fios Box
You can restart the Fios setup box if the Fios remote stops working with the following simple steps.
1. Disconnect the device from the power source.
2. Wait for at least 1 or 2 minutes.
3. Then plug it into a power source and wait for a few minutes to restart.
4. Once it is rebooted, check the remote is working with Fios TV.
Reset the Fios Box
Sometimes, the Fios box may encounter an unexpected error that causes the remote to not work. Hence, you must manually reset the Fios set-top box besides resetting the Fios remote.
1. Unplug the power cord from the outlet.
💡 Don’t remove the coaxial cable thinking that one is the power cord.
2. Wait for 15 seconds and plug the power cord back in.
3. Next, turn on the set-top box.
4. Wait for a few minutes until the Interactive Media Guide is updated.
5. Once it is done, test the remote by pressing the function keys.
Try Button Sequence
You can use a button sequence to fix the connection issue between the set-top box and the Fios remote.
1. Switch on the set-top box.
2. Press the STB button once on the Fios remote.
3. Next, press the Channel Up and Channel Down buttons consequently.
4. Following that, press the Volume Up and Volume Down buttons one after the other.
5. Finally, check whether the remote is working or not.
Note: If the button sequence doesn’t work, seek help from Verizon Customer Support or drop an email.
Buy a Universal Remote
If the above methods failed to work, you can buy the best universal remote for Fios TV instead of purchasing the original remote for a high price. With a universal remote, you can connect many devices and link them with compatible universal remote codes.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can call the Verizon Customer Service number 📞1-800-837-4966 if you have any issues.
Press and hold the OK and 2 buttons on the remote simultaneously. Following that, press the buttons 9-0-0 consequently. So, the red LED indicator light will flash thrice and then turns off.
Make sure that Samsung TV and the Fios remote are properly paired. If the remote stops working while pairing, remove the old batteries and replace them with new ones.