How to Set up and Use the Apple TV Remote App
The Apple TV Remote app is preinstalled on the Control Center of the latest iOS and iPadOS. Therefore, there is no need to install the remote application from the App Store to control the Apple TV and AirPlay-enabled Smart TV. In case you have the old version of iOS and iPadOS, there is still some way to add the Apple TV Remote to the Control Center using your device settings.
In this article, you will learn to set up and use the Apple TV Remote to control the compatible devices mentioned below.
- Apple TV (3rd Generation)
- Apple TV HD
- Apple TV 4K
- AirPlay-supported Smart TV
How to Add Apple TV Remote to Control Center
If you can’t find the Apple TV Remote in the Control Center, you can manually add it with these steps.
. Go to Settings on your iPhone or iPad.
. Click on Control Center.
. Then, click on the Add button located near the Apple TV Remote option.
. By doing so, you can add the remote to the Control Center of the iOS device.
Note: To control an AirPlay-enabled Smart TV with the Apple TV Remote, you need to add your Smart TV to the Home app. Further, you need to add it to the room to use the remote control.
How to Use the Apple TV Remote App
If the Apple TV remote is not responding, you can the Apple TV remote app to control your device with ease. To begin, connect your iPhone/iPad, Apple TV, or Smart TV to the same WiFi network. Also, upgrade your iOS or iPadOS and tvOS to the latest version.
1. Swipe down from the top-right corner to launch the Control Center on your iPhone or iPad.
Note: If you are using iPhone 8 (iOS 11) or earlier, swipe up from the bottom edge of the screen.
2. Click the Apple TV Remote icon.
3. Select your AirPlay-compatible Smart TV or Apple TV from the list.
4. If prompted, enter the four-digit passcode to proceed.
Note: Use Siri Remote or Apple TV Remote to enter the passcode, if you using Apple TV (3rd Gen).
To access Volume keys on the Apple TV Remote in the Control Center, set up your Apple TV with HomePod, soundbar, or any AirPlay 2-enabled speaker. If the Volume button looks dimmed, you can directly use the volume button of your TV remote.
How to Control Multiple Devices Using the Apple TV Remote App
You can control multiple devices if they are connected to the Apple TV Remote in the Control Center. To control other devices, click the drop-down menu at the top and select the preferred one.
Apple TV Remote Controls
- Navigate Apps: In the touch area, swipe left, right, up, or down to highlight the app or content.
- Navigate Lists: Swipe up or down a number of times to scroll the list in the Touch area.
- Select an item: Swipe on an item to highlight and then tap in the touch area.
- View Additional Options: Select an item and then touch and hold the touch area. If it has additional options, it will be displayed on the TV.
- App Keyboard: Simply type a text on the iOS or iPad OS keyboard to enable the remote keyboard.
- Volume Control: You can click the volume buttons on your iOS or iPadOS to control the volume of audio or video receivers.
- Back Button: From the Apple TV Remote app, click the Back button to go back to the previous screen. Click and hold the Back button to go to the Home Screen.
- TV Button: On the app, click the TV button once to go to Up Next in the Apple TV app. If you press the TV button again, it will take you to the Home Screen.
- View Opened Apps: Press the TV button twice to view the apps running in the background.
- Run TV OS Control Center: Tap and hold the TV Button to open the TV OS Control Center.
- Use Siri: Press and hold the Siri button and then perform voice controls using Siri.
- Change Channels: Press the Up or Down button to change the channel.
How to Fix Apple TV Remote App Not Working
If the Apple TV Remote app is stuck on searching, volume functions not working, or keeps disconnecting, don’t worry. These problems occur due to weak WiFi signals, slow internet connection, outdated device firmware, etc. You can check our comprehensive guide on the Apple TV Remote app not working to fix all these problems by yourself without any assistance.
Apple TV Remote App for Android
Fortunately, there are some free third-party remote apps in the Play Store to control Apple TV from an Android device. With those apps, you can easily turn on your Apple TV without a remote. Here are our recommendations for the best Apple TV remote apps for Android.
There is no need to download the Apple TV Remote application separately. It is natively available on the Control Center of your iPhone or iPad.
You can use the remote app to reset your Apple TV without a remote. Using the remote interface, go to Settings on your Apple TV → General/System → Reset.