- Use iPhone as Apple TV Remote: Connect Apple TV and iPhone to the same WIFI network → Open Control Center → Click Remote icon → Use the Apple TV Remote app
Once upon a time, there was a dedicated Apple TV Remote app on the App Store. But the app was removed in October 2020 and is integrated within the iOS app. Consequently, Apple users can use their iPhone as an Apple TV remote with a single click. Apple added the feature on the device, and you can use it to perform the remote functions like your original remote. It is a way useful if your Apple TV remote is not working. So whether you have ordered a replacement remote or need not use the universal remote, you shall use iPhone to control the TV.
Apple TV Remote App Compatible Devices
- Apple TV 4K
- Apple TV HD
- AirPlay 2-compatible smart TV
- Apple TV 3rd Generation
How to Add Apple TV Remote to Control Center (iPhone/iPad)
If you have updated your iPhone or iPad to the latest version, the Apple TV Remote is directly available on the Control Center. For earlier versions, you have to add it manually by the following steps.
Note: Before you begin, make sure to connect your Apple TV to the same WIFI network as your iPhone or iPad.
1. Launch Settings on your iPhone.
2. Click on Control Center.
3. Scroll below More Controls and click the plus icon near the Apple TV Remote.
How to Control Apple TV using Apple TV Remote App on iPhone
1. Go to the Control Center on your iPhone by swiping down the screen from the top.
Note: If your iPhone has a home button, swipe up the screen from the bottom to view the Control Center.
2. Click the Remote icon.
3. The remote interface will appear on the screen.
4. Click the Speaker button at the top left to either mute or unmute audio.
5. If you want to access the Apple TV menu, click the List icon.
6. Tap the Power button at the top right to turn off your Apple TV.
7. If you have multiple devices, you can switch by clicking the Choose a TV icon.
8. You can move the cursor by using the Touchpad area.
9. If you want to go to the home screen, click the TV icon.
10. Click the Play/Pause button to control video or audio playback.
11. Tap the big arrow icon situated below the touchpad to go back.
12. For changing TV channels, press the Up or Down arrow keys.
13. To use Siri for voice commands, press and hold the lock button of your iPhone.
Note: If the speaker button has turned grey, then it is incompatible with volume controls.
How to Control Apple TV While Playing a Video
1. When a video plays on Apple TV, the forward or rewind buttons appear on the touchpad.
Note: You can touch these buttons to either forward or rewind to 10 seconds.
2. To enable or disable subtitles, click the Subtitle icon.
Note: There may be times you may get Apple TV Remote App Not Working issue, and you shall learn to fix it up.
Frequently Asked Questions
If the Apple TV remote is not working, firstly, charge your Siri or Apple TV remote for about 30 minutes using the Apple lightning USB cable. Also, replace the battery with a newer one. Finally, unplug the Apple TV cable from the source and keep it aside for six seconds. Later, plug the cable back in.